- 9” or 12” Moist Stop Flashing (or comparable)
- TremGlaze U1600 or Comparable – Polyurethane Caulking
- 8D Galvanized Nails
- Paslode Impluse Nail Gun or Hand Nail if Temperature is low
Vinyl Windows and Doors Procedures
- Openings must be plumb, square & level to achieve maximum unit performance & operation.
- Flashing is stapled to the opening with a required overlap of 9” (no less then width of flashing) past edge of opening. Staples should not be within 3” from the nailing fin. Any windows that are stacked with 4 x 4’s between should be double flashed.
- Apply a continuous bead of caulking to back side (interior) of the window and doors nailing fin, including the head.
Apply a continuous bead of caulking (interior) across sill and up the jamb 6 inches on the door, as well as, the bottom of the door opening and across the opening jambs.
Note: All surfaces that come in contact with sealant must be clean, dry and free of all contaminations prior to application of sealant.
- Window/Door is set in opening on a level sill. Window/Door is shimmed where needed.
- Doors and operable windows are checked for smooth operation. Vents are closed prior to nailing of the door/ window.
All reveals are checked.
- Window/Door jambs, head & sill are fastened 10” maximum distance apart.
- Exterior bead of caulking must be applied (Butter Caulk). Caulking should be spread over the nailing fin to cover all nail holes, nail heads and seams in windows. Installer must also seal the edge of fin to the flashing paper.
- Apply a bead of caulking to the head (outside) nailing fin prior to applying flashing. Always seal head of window/door to header & apply flashing paper to top of window/door.
- Make sure window is checked for smooth operation, even reveals & bows or warping in the frame.
CAUTION: The use of peel and stick flashing isn’t recommended also do not over pack insulation or use expandable type foam insulation materials which may result in bowed jambs and difficult operation causing the window warranty to be voided.
In order to ensure superior homeowner satisfaction, we must work together. We feel our partners deserve on time and complete installation. A contract representative will confirm your window/patio door delivery dates. Scheduling of installation will be in accordance with scheduled delivery dates and lead times based on receipt of the installation checklist.
It is required to use the checklist to notify Champion Windows that the following is complete and ready for installation.
- Rough Openings are plumb, level & framed to Champion’s rough opening sheet
- Roofs are on and loaded
- Drywall stocked
- Doorplates are cut out at Call-Out widths
- Concrete at doorsill is level. No bolts protruding
- Concrete is dry
- All openings have shear panel for strips where needed
- Sheet metal is down on deck doors
- Floor is marked, if an option or change has been made at the opening
- All recessed and pot shelf windows have been lined with bituthane
Installation dates can be reserved once the installation checklist has been signed and faxed to Champion (661) 295-0164. If installation checklist is received within 24hrs of confirmation of delivery dates, there will be no delay of installation.
If openings are not ready for installation, installers may be required to be rescheduled; there could be a $250 trip charge to cover expenses.
Champion is proud and thankful that we can be your partner in bringing the American dream of owning a new home to our friends and neighbors. We love to give our homeowners a window to the world, even when they look past the beauty of the window itself.